We take our responsibility to the environment very seriously, and try to reduce our environmental impact at every available opportunity. Operating an effective environmental management policy has enabled us to achieve the International Standard in Environmental Management, the ISO 14001 award.
This internationally recognised standard in environmental management is the result of business-wide dedication to acting in an environmentally conscious manner in all aspects of our operation. This could be from something as simple as making sure lights and heating are turned off when not needed, through to sourcing our paper supplies from sustainably managed sources.
The objectives of our environmental management policy are to:
- assess and regularly re-assess the environmental effects of the organisation’s activities
- train employees in environmental issues
- minimise the production of waste
- minimise material wastage
- minimise energy wastage
- promote the use of recyclable and renewable materials
- reduce and/or limit the production of pollutants to water, land and air
- control noise emissions from operations
- minimise the risk to the general public and employees from operations and activities undertaken by the organisation.
As part of our commitment to reducing our environmental impact, Newcross offsets carbon emissions through renewable energy projects across the world. A recent project based in Balikesir, Turkey involved the installation and operation of 10 2.5MW wind turbines that will provide renewable energy to the local community without the need to burn fossil fuels. This project could avoid C02 emissions as large as 59,796 tonnes per year.