From HR to the Himalayas
Newcross Healthcare’s Human Resources Business Partner - Adam Beckles, will be climbing the icy peaks of Mount Everest to raise money for five chosen charities.
On October 23rd, Adam along with buddy Ashley Morgan will be flying out to the Himalayas where they will then attempt to scale the heights of Island Peak. Fully funding the trip themselves, Adam and Ash are attempting to raise an impressive £6,190.00, the height of the peak they’ll be climbing in metres (6,190m).
Better known as Island Peak, they’ll be scaling Imja Tse, facing ice crevasses, freezing temperatures, reduced oxygen levels and physical exhaustion. They’ll be pushed to their physical and mental limits, using ice picks, crampons and ladders to manoeuvre the obstacles in their way.
Their preparation has been exhausting, with as much squeezed in since their spur of the moment decision on the golf course last year. Over the past year, they’ve made regular visits to the Brecon Beacons and many a climbing centre, spending most weekends doing some form of hill climbing, walking or park run.
“I love a challenge, and nothing is more challenging than climbing Everest. It will be a huge personal achievement but one with the added bonus of raising money for charities that are very important to me. I’m a bit concerned about encountering an avalanche and the effects of altitude sickness, but we will be with some highly trained people so we should be fine. The views from the top are supposed to be superb and will be worth the effort,” said Adam when asked about the challenges ahead.
Newcross Offers Support
Newcross Healthcare’s Managing Directors Stephen Pattrick and Michelle Gorringe have sponsored Adam £250, and they wish him all the best with his attempt.
“I am in awe of what Adam is attempting to achieve. I’m sure it will be a wonderful experience and one that will test him to his absolute limits. Relying on just himself and his colleagues to reach their goal of climbing Island Peak is no easy feat. We wish him luck in this incredible endeavour.” said Tracey O’Kennedy Human Resources Director.
We hope the hard work and dedication pays off, with everyone at Newcross wishing the two of them the best of luck for the journey ahead.
If you would like to donate to Adam and Ashley’s cause or find out more about their chosen charities, click here.
The charities of choice are as follows:
- Headway – a charity that supports the lives of those after acquired brain injuries. Having personal experience with the volunteers and workers, Headway is a charity that is very close to the heart for Adam and was a natural first choice.
- Combat Stress – As an ex-serving British Army veteran, there’s no better way to show support and commitment to fellow vets than supporting the leading mental health charity that supports them.
- AMEND – or the Association for Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Disorders. Ash’s first choice comes again from personal experience with the charity. A patient group, run by patients for patients, they provide information and support to people affected by the disorders.
- Great Western Air Ambulance – Not forgetting the local community, Ash’s second choice goes to the air ambulance charity based on the outskirts of Bristol. With a response time of less than 20 minutes and specially trained critical care paramedics, GWAA save thousands of lives every year.
- Dementia Friends – After accepting the role of HR Business Partner, Adam was invited to attend one of Newcross’ Dementia Friends sessions, and now wears his badge with pride. It was at this point that he realised that both him and Ash have personal experiences with Dementia, and it fell naturally that this should be their joint charity of choice.